Monday, April 23, 2012

RESPECT THEM!!

A strange incidence happened today- which made me ponder upon the blindfold we have put on, to see only what is important or may turn to be of any use in some point of our lives.In this mad race, we tend to ignore so many people, relations, emotions and the beauty of life that is something to cherish.

Daily when i walk down to my bus stop in the morning, there are same faces , at same places i see regularly.But since morning time is always a hassled one, so i hardly acknowledged anyone.

In our apartment , there is an aged gentleman, around 70 years of age, who daily sits under a tree on the same bench in the morning, and silently watches the people passing by.I had never noticed him until one day he asked me- " young lady, what is the time?"

I was impressed by his mannerisms and his confident voice ( not expected of people from his generation). anyways, i told him the time and moved ahead, for a split second I wondered what could be the value of time for him when all he did was to sit and think.

Anyways, from the next day onwards, whenever i crossed him , he used to smile at me, and i reciprocated the gesture- no words ever exchanged. This "smile bond" had been a relationship with him since that day of developing an acquaintance. with him

This morning, i was not in the best of my moods, had a rough weekend and was homesick, still life moves on- so i tried my best possible to attune to the hectic week that laid ahead.Dressed formally, the same smile, same walk, same time- no one could figure out the mood i was in. I wore my mask of professionalism.

Following his tradition, the gentleman saw me, smiled and i smiled back. I realized i had smiled after 2 days, it was a good feeling, though a fake smile , yet it helped. i moved ahead. But the gentleman called me from behind- " excuse me miss! "

I halted and turned to face him, looking at my watch, thinking he needed to know the time again.

But this time it was something else.



" how are you? " he asked.

I was surprised, he had never exchanged any word or pleasantries with me, but his concern made me feel happy.

I smiled back, and lied that i was fine.There was no reason to tell this stranger about the bad mood, or the large pool of problems that ailed me.

He smiled back, and what he said was a bigger surprise for me- " no , you are not fine lady. Today your smile is a fake one. Whatever your problem is- it will be solved soon. Have faith ! A new week ensures a new beginning. Have a great week ahead."

He was silent now, and so was i.

Today i understood that he did not waste his time sitting there , each morning, but he noticed the people around, studied them and their moods and this was his way of connecting to the world.

When everyone is busy in their own problems and entanglements, there is this handful of people, having years of experience in the journey called life- they are people who need nothing in return for the love and compassion they shower. They are the elderly people, who need just a little care and affection, and they shower all their blessings and support.

Respect them! Love them!

Today is not any major day for thinking about old people, or to pledge to go to any old-age homes and do social services-- Yet, i feel like doing something for them..and even if you don't wish to go an extra mile, atleast acknowledge them and their presence.

2 comments:

  1. nice post.. :)

    Keep Smiling.. Bless You... tc

    @Sandy..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. A a very Gud post............ A very true one ....... :) Thanks....

    ReplyDelete